Pastor's Pen 3/22/2020
THE PASTOR’S PEN
MARCH 22, 2020
To my dear precious Lakeside flock,
I miss you. Not being with you on Sundays, and preaching to a camera in an almost empty auditorium is not natural. However, it is the situation we find ourselves in these days. And by God’s grace I will continue to preach to you over livestream, in order to feed you God’s Word and to encourage you in your walk with Christ.
I recently read a missionary report from a friend of mine who lives in Italy. As you know, the nation of Italy is in complete lockdown. In spite of this situation, my friend has found a way to find some beneficial things as a result of the Coronavirus (like spending more time with his wife and children, and catching up on some much needed sleep).
Although our situation is not the same as our Italian brethren, in the spirit of my friend’s attitude, I want to give you some reasons to be thankful – not for the Coronavirus, but for what God is doing as a result of this virus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, “In everything give thanks, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” And so, with this in mind, I offer the following 10 things to be thankful for you as we go through this crisis. Be thankful to the Lord…
- For what you do have, instead of what you don’t have. This includes your health, your family, and the ability to stay in touch with each other.
- For the opportunity to draw closer to the Lord, because that is why God’s sends trials into our lives. (James 1:2-4)
- For the advancement of the gospel around the world, as people are fearful and are looking for hope.
- For showing us the priorities of life, and how many trivial things we can do without.
- For the opportunity to trust Jesus to sustain us during these extraordinary days.
- For livestream, the internet, and the availability to hear biblical sermons.
- For allowing us to see how important church life is, now that it has been removed from us.
- For giving us the time to read a good book and have meaningful conversations with other believers.
- For putting us in a situation where we can demonstrate God’s peace and love to others.
- For making us appreciate the fact that we are citizens of heaven, and that there is a better world for us in the future.
Please be assured of my continued love and concern for you. Once again, I want you to know that as of now our church office is open Mondays through Fridays. Please don’t hesitate to let us know how we can assist.
Yours in Christ,